Friday 4 February 2022

Happy Birthday Old Friend





 I find it hard to believe, but the records confirm it - we've been brewing GADDS' Number 3 Premium Kentish Pale Ale for 20 years. In February 2002 I concocted a very simple pale ale using a high quality pale malted barley variety, and the very best hops I could find, East Kent Goldings. I can still vividly remember my first pint, how it tasted, and how I felt (pretty chuffed). The recipe hasn't changed ever since.

Here's some fun facts about GADDS' Number 3:

  • It was first brewed in the Royal Harbour Brewhouse and Bakers - we'd spent 18 months restoring this derelict restaurant on Ramsgate Seafront that later went on to become the Belgium Bar, the Green Tara and now the Ramsgate Market.
  • Our first customers were The Artillery Arms, The New Inn (Minster) and The Grange. 
  • In June of 2002 the we sold casks of Number 3 to the Montefiore Arms for the first time. The price was £55 each, plus vat.
  • Number 3 won 'Best Beer in Kent' in 2009, and 5 times after that, and was runner up Champion Beer of Britain in 2017.
  • I originally wanted to call it 'East Kent Gold', but was out voted by my fellow founders - both mathematicians, they felt simple numbers would allow the beer to do the talking. I can't argue with that.
Help us celebrate by voting for Number 3 in the Taste Of Kent Awards, and then reward yourself with a case or two of Number 3 from the shop, using the well deserved "ILOVENO3" code at checkout for a handy 20% discount*.

Cheers!
The GADDS


*one use per customer, ends 28th February 2002.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How much is a cask today Eddie?