Friday 29 June 2012

"Bitter, please"

Whilst planning a visit to Belgium I asked my host-to-be what he'd like me to bring him from the UK and "bitter, please" was the unexpected reply. Meneer Boon was missing the classic balance of tangy hops with biscuity malt that he'd so enjoyed on his visits to English pubs, and he wanted some of that magic in the comfort of his own home. But I struggled to find a decent bottle conditioned English bitter, so I made some of my own. It went rather well, so I made some more.

3 comments:

Paul Bailey said...

I know exactly what Menner Boon means. I recently returned recently from a most enjoyable visit to Bavaria, and following a couple of days break (to give my over-worked liver a rest!) I have just poured out a glass of Ringwood Boondoggle from a bottle that had been chilling in the fridge for an hour or so.

Now I know it's not bottle-conditioned, and I know that Ringwood are part of the Marstons Empire, but after a week drinking some admittedly very good Bavarian beers, my taste-buds were itching for a pint of English ale. Your description of tangy hops balancing biscuity malt, sums up beautifully the beer I am enjoying at this very moment, and has prompted me to post this comment. Well said!

Anonymous said...

It is about time! Lower alcohol schmoer schmalcohol. I'm sure it is delightful. It is almost mid July.......

Gavin said...

A classic example of a good bitter as well